From Quake Wiki
|Newest release:||Dec 22 2018|
LadyHavoc's Quake engine. One of the fastest engines available, it features realtime lighting, bumpmapping, an OpenGL shader system, bloom lighting, model interpolation, and rewritten network code which supports connecting to NetQuake and QuakeWorld servers within the same binary. It is functional as a standalone engine and is used for many projects such as Nexuiz, Darsana, and Transfusion. Known for its increase in limits, allowing more intricate mapping, in various BSP formats, as well as more flexibility in qc, DarkPlaces is preferred by most modders.
It features advanced texturing techniques such as normal mapping and deluxemaps. Maintains full compatibility with mods and even with other engines. It is still in development and has a continuing mod by LadyHavoc under the same name, both of which can be found at http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces for the latest (generally annual) stable releases, or for the most uptodate versions, or any previous version, at http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files
While very versatile and advanced, Darkplaces is infamous for a lack of compatibility with various maps and mods. A random list of issues encountered can be found here (please update if fixed):
- Black rectangles around explosion sprite on kinn_marcher.html
- http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/general-help/9702-missing-quad-damage-doe.html - "DoE/Mission pack 2 (…) one of the secrets in level towers of wrath in ep. 1: hell's fortress is missing a quad damage power up"
- http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/general-help/10056-maddening-problem-quake-mission-pack-1-darkplaces.html - Rubble on first map of Hipnotic kills the player.
- http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/general-help/11425-impossible-complete-mission-pack-1-level.html Silver key on HIP2M3: The Catacombs vanishes
- http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=4&start=13187&end=13195 handling skip wrong
- http://celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60097&start=1075&end=1077 DoE buzzsaws displayed wrongly
- http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/general-help/10625-scourge-armagon-ending-bug.html armagon ending broken